So, as you can see, I've made some progress on this little guy since the last time we saw it
The painting of the background fabric helped, but not much.
So when we looked at it last, I was cutting out approximately one million little leaves.
Unfortunately, the only thing I had in my stash that were the right colours, were 3 FQs of Vicki Welsh hand-dyed fabric . It seemed a shame to use the fabric in such a way but the colours were perfect, so I cut part of them up into hundreds of little leaves.
(Well, Vicki's fabric as well as some of mine from the dyeing I did the same day this little tree saga began - which were [of course] a perfect match to the background green.)
The first layer of leaves looked good... but it needed more.
So I piled on the leaves, adding some nice texture - three layers of leaves in fact ... but still wasn't satisfied.
In that first picture up there, you'll note there's another piece behind it.
... to be continued!