I had hoped to show you a finished piece today, but I grossly underestimated how long it would take me to braid enough embroidery floss to make the mermaid's hair - not to mention, some of the hand quilting I've done hasn't turned out so well, so I need to re-do it. :SIGH:
But I DID make some rocks. I knew I knew how to do it, and I thought if I pulled out By The Sea from last year, just looking at those rocks would remind me how I did it. That didn't work - I pulled them out, petted them, and thought "how pretty", but couldn't remember how I did them, exactly.
Bu then I found and read my own instructions on how to make them (gee, I'm glad that this is a process blog!), except, this time, I broadened the colours of roving that I used, and put them on a gray silk background, rather than stablizer and pinned 'em all up.
Since I didn't have very much of that grey scrim left, I inserted into my rocks for more texture instead.
Once I had it all pinned down, I needle felted it.
And when I was done, I had this piece of fabric. It was sooooooooo SOFT, I just wanted to pet it like a bunny. :) Alas, I needed to cut it up...
...into rock shapes.
Which I put onto some fabric I wouldn't use for much else (a heavy cotton upholstery fabric sample I was gifted by a friend - said friend gave me banker's box full of such samples and they've come in very handy in a lot of applications.
There's a lot of that stuff in the "America Now" series, for instance. Painting them over covers a multitude of sins!)
So, we're getting closer!
But, we're in the home stretch now! Finished piece on Wednesday or maybe Friday.