Over the weekend, I found a few pictures that were accidentally un-erased and left on my camera card, so I can show you a few process pics about the trees.
So, up here is a tiny portion of the finished trees section, and as you can see, it's very busy and fully in there. So come check out how the layer process happened after the jump!
Now, see the large trees in the background? They were made out of a fortuitous fabric. The central figure in this piece was composed of a number of brown and red paints, and when I was done with it, I used the leftovers to paint a piece of fabric.
Initially, after it dried, because of all the red in it, it was very pinky browny and I thought to myself "Well, what the heck am I gonna do with THAT?" and after having washed it, I tossed in a pile of fabrics I keep for over-dyeing and other surface design. But when I was looking for fabric for this background layer of trees, I thought if I added some streaks to the fabric in burnt umber and burnt umber light, it might work as a tree trunk fabric - and - dang it, I was right! :)
I added some cut/fused leaves and my first layer was done.
You can see it on its own in the second picture, and in the one right above it with some black quilted lines. Sometimes simple is best!
I also added some random grass and ferns around the trees to add some more depth to the piece.
And then I had some needled felted fabric I'd made from nine or ten brown, grey, rust, tan and green fabrics. You can see me auditioning the branch lay-outs in the pics above and below.
And here you see my background trees with the leaves partially done. I had literally thousands of leaves that all needed hand-stitched veins in this piece. Quite an undertaking!