As I like to say when the piece is done, "it's time for the big finish!" But, continuing from part one and part two of my "how to" - there are a few more things to do before we can call it "done".
When I left you on Wednesday, I said that there were a few more trees to put down - a dark brown one and a couple of birch trees.
I must confess, that even I second-guessed myself at the placement of that tree; but when I looked at my original layout it said that was the placement, so I decided to trust myself and went ahead.
I used an orange-painted lutradur blend and made the leaves larger, more exaggerated, as this tree is in the foreground.
The leaves aren't proportional to the tree, but it's okay because this is a small piece. On a larger piece, like Hiraeth, I would take the time to make the leaves the right size.
Interestingly, although these orange leaves are quite different than the yellow-blend used in the background, they ended up reading more similarly than I expected.
And finally, the birch trees are laid in place.
At this point, I made a stylistic decision.
Although birch leaves look very much like the background and foreground leaves, (the difference being they're a bit fatter and that they have "notches"), because these leaves are so small, there was no way I would be able to notch them, anyway. In addition, birch leaves, in my experience, are usually yellow or orange in the fall; but there are already enough yellow / orange leaves in this piece.
So, red it is...
And I made a leaf shape that doesn't actually exist in nature. :)
Once again, I fused my red one-ply paper to a yellow fabric - and though I usually free cut my leaves, in this case, I drew several, and then cut several from the paper in order to get a feel for cutting them first. Once I had a feel for this odd little shape, I cut a bunch from the red fabric and fused them down.
At this point, I really did think I was done, but the church seemed too white, too bright for a little country church, so I decided to knock back the white a bit with a couple of mixes of beige and grey.
(Yes, I'm using the Canadian spelling of "grey". But I don't use the Canadian spelling of "fibre". I have no reason for this other than I'm quirky. lol)
There! THAT's better!
And here you have a little peek at all of the leaves... before the big finish!
Old Blesses New (c) 2013 Kit Lang
I called it "Old Blesses New" because I kept thinking about the old gods (the trees) embracing the new one. BSP says only an artist's mind would go there, but I think it may just be me. ;)
And that's the end of my tutorial!
I hope you enjoyed it, and that maybe even you found something you can use in it.
Have a great weekend, and I'll see you next week with something old and something new.