When I left you on Monday, we had finished the first set of background trees with painted leaves. In looking at my layout of trees for the piece, above (which I had set aside for working as I go), I know it's time to start the next layer.
...and we're off!
As you can see, the more detailed tree has made an appearance on the right hand side. I had already determined the placement of the trees
I'm still using my painted paper towels, but in this case my yellow/red paper is a one ply. I've bulked it up by fusing it to some yellow broadcloth. When I'm cutting tiny pieces - I always leave the backing of the fusible paper on. It cuts out the fraying - which when you're working with tiny pieces is very important. A small amount of fraying trimmed out can a make your cut piece disappear.
And while I'm talking about fusing - a note on what I use. I have tried many different kinds - all of the big names as well as some lesser known lights, and none of them have worked for what I do as well as what I use.
I need a fusible that's double sided, won't get hard with repeated applications of heat, doesn't need steam to be part of the process (some of my papers won't stand up to getting wet, not to mention, I find that extra step is a time waster), has great, easy to remove release paper, and will be tacky so that I can move the pieces around, but will stay if I need them to before I apply the heat.
For me, that product is Steam-A-Seam Lite. They haven't paid me for this and as far as I can tell, don't know that I exist (lol) I just think it's a really great product.
But back to the work... A couple of hours later, and we have a pile o'leaves.
After stitching the tree trunks and branches down, it's time to apply them. I apply them following the direction of the branches, and that's the second layer of trees done.
Before the next layer of trees can go down though, the focal point needs to go in. I forgot to show you the little sketch I used before I cut it out - but I'm assuming you can figure it out from what's left in the fabric. :)
And though I was originally going to make the windows stained glass, I decided that in such a small piece, the coloured panes of glass would be too busy with the layers of coloured leaves, the red roof and the coloured ground - the eye would have no place to take a break for a moment.
So I made the windows out of two layers of pale gold tulle (like the pale golden yellow windows in the country church I grew up in) and did a thin line of black stitching to outline.
A note about the outline - in a larger piece I wouldn't do plain black - I would use shades of brown and grey-ish brown - ochre, and sepia; because in a large piece, stark black stitching looks too much like a child's colouring book. But in a small piece like this, all you need is a suggestion.
The windows needed a little something more so they don't look so lifeless; and I decided to add that little something with a combination of dull gold and black embroidery floss, mixed with a shiny gold thread.
It could be done - but I like a lot of texture and layers in my work - so we're only half way there.
The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that the birch trees and one more brown tree are missing from this composition - and we're going to work on those on Friday - which is great. Because all of those trees need some more hand cut leaves!
See you then with the big finish. :)
P.S. - Linking up with The Needle and Thread Network, WIP Wednesdays at Freshly Pieced and Wow Me Wednesday at Ginger Snap Crafts